Re: BK kernel workflow

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 15:43:47 EST

On Iau, 2004-10-28 at 16:10, Larry McVoy wrote:
> "Fair use" != "reverse engineering" in any venue so far as I know.

Reverse engineering is enshrined in EU law as a right (although this
started due to abuse by car companies not for computing). While people
jump up and down and point to that its not always clear you can do so
for the purposes of cloning rather than interoperability.

Ie its one thing to reverse engineer BK to make a BK->Subversion tool
but quite another to reverse engineer it to reimplement BK

(leaving aside that all the patch files are publically grabbable and
every patch Linus sends goes out to a mailing list so it would be a
rather hard work way of doing it)

I don't use BK. It's not causing problems for me.

Alan