Re: My thoughts on the "new development model"

From: Chuck Ebbert
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 08:10:44 EST

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 at 00:13:44 -0700 William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 04:46:58PM +1000, michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> [...] many bugs are perfectly acceptable in a production
>> environment as long as they're not impacting. (The linux kernel is a
>> very large piece of work. Few installations would use even 20% of the
>> total kernel functionality).
>
> I'd expect vastly less than 1%, starting from the arch count, and then
> making some conservative guesses about drivers. Drivers probably
> actually take it down to far, far less than 1%.

Sure, but pretty much each installation uses a different 1%.

If there's a bug in there it's bound to hit someone; that's
what makes OS writing so difficult. (And that's why "It works
for me" is not really a useful statement about the overall quality
of an operating system.)

--Chuck Ebbert 28-Oct-04 09:00:36