loopback on block device

From: Lei Yang
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 13:32:40 EST

Hello,

Here is a question for loopback device. As far as I understand, the loopback device is used to mount files as if they were block devices.

Then Why I could do "losetup -e XOR /dev/loop0 /dev/ram0" ? Notice that ram0 is not mounted anywhere and does not have a filesystem on it. I've tried that command and there seems to be no error. I got confused and looked into loop.c, it seems to me that a loopback device should be associated with a "backing file", why would it work on a block device anyway?

I'd appreciate your comments greatly!

TIA,
Lei