Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-mm1-V0

From: K.R. Foley
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 10:21:48 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* K.R. Foley <kr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I use the rtc-debug and amlat to generate histograms of latencies
which is what I was trying to do when I found the rtc problem the
first time. I believe that rtc-debug/amlat is much more accurate for
generating histograms of latencies than realfeel is because the
instrumentation is in the kernel rather than a userspace program.

ah, ok - nice. So rtc-debug+amlat is the only known-reliable way to
produce latency histograms?

Don't know that for sure, but it is the most reliable way that I am aware of.

Btw., rtc-debug's latency results could now be cross-validated with
-V0.4's wakeup tracer (and vice versa), because the two are totally
independent mechanisms.

Agreed. :)

Ingo

kr