Re: 2.6.10-rc1-mm1

From: James Morris
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 09:55:58 EST

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > Here's some debugging of the last few drivers to be registered before the
> > oops is seen:
> >
> > name=hpet node=c03ee9a0 acpi_bus_drivers.prev=c03ea6a0
> > name=i8042 node=c03eeda0 acpi_bus_drivers.prev=c03ee9a0
> > name=floppy node=c03f24c0 acpi_bus_drivers.prev=c03ee9a0
> >

> > Note acpi_bus_drivers.prev for floppy was not set to c03eeda0, which you
> > would normally expect?
>
> Not too sure what I'm looking at there.

Debugging in acpi_bus_register_driver():

printk("name=%s node=%p acpi_bus_drivers.prev=%p\n", driver->name, &driver->node, acpi_bus_drivers.prev);

> ah. the acpi floppy scanning code seems to be misinterpreting the
> acpi_bus_register_driver() return value, so if it returns zero we think
> that the driver was registered, only it wasn't. floppy_init() then
> proceeds to unregister a not-registered driver. I think. Does this help?

No, it seems that the floppy code is registering fine (it gets return of 1
from acpi_bus_register_driver()).

> If so, I wonder why acpi_bus_register_driver() is returning zero.

It's not.

Given that this is disappearing when enabling debug info, perhaps it's a
compilation or similarly obsucure bug.

- James
--
James Morris