Re: Question: how to invalidate read cache

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 09:52:55 EST

Guven Demir wrote:
hi all,

i hope this is the right place to ask question... anyway, it goes like this:

how can i invalidate the read cache for a file system?

the reason i'm asking this question is:

i'm mounting this ntfs partition to my linux box r/o, which i also
used by "another os" running under vmware r/w.

so when this partition gets updated under vmware, linux does not get
the changes until i umount / mount the partition again.

the problem is, i cant do this when the partiton is busy so i'm stuck
with invalid directory entries etc...

so, is there a way to disable or invalidate the read cache for this partition?

As a basic rule, never mount the same block device from two OS's (even if they are the same model).

Even if you could "disable" read cache from the Linux side, what makes you think that the "other OS" (or even vmware) isn't doing some write caching that will ruin it for you?

If you want a "shared space" between the 2 OS'es I would suggest you share at a higher level, like a sharing a directory on the "other OS" and mount it using samba on Linux through a virtual network card (or the other way around).

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)