Re: lowmem_reserve (replaces protection)

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 00:53:48 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 12:51:11AM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

what we'll happen is that we'll blindly free a few pages from each zone,
but then we'll be allowed to allocate the highmem pages, and not the
normal/dma pages. So after allocating the highmem pages we invoke kswapd
again and it frees again some highmem/normal/dma pages but we keep only
using the highmem ones. So for a while we may be rolling over only the
highmem lru and ignoring all freed pages from the normal/dma zones.

That's what I mean when I say it can overscan the lower zones.
You don't want to change the stop condition here though because
obviously the highmem zone still has work to do - you just want
to stop scanning the lower zones.

I don't think it is a big problem though.

I do have a patch to make it use the lower zone protection watermarks
explicitly, but it is sitting on top of other stuff which I'm going
to try to get merged first...