Re: Fixing MTRR smp breakage and suspending sysdevs.

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 23:05:50 EST

Hi.

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 13:50, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Well, I understand that ACPI is using semaphore and a GFP_KERNEL, but what
> is the problem with MTRR? I understand that they should be set with IRQ
> off but I highly doibt that enabling IRQ at the end is a requirement.
> I think what is described in the commnet is rather a "normal flow of events".

The real problem with MTRRs is SMP support: smp_call_function doesn't
like IRQs disabled.

I got around a similar issue with saving CPU state (for suspend-to-disk)
by using the same general sequence that I later discovered described in
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/mtrr/main.c (set_mtrr header) for saving CPU
contexts. I extended it yesterday to do the MTRR settings as well,
before Shaohua pointed to the more general need.

Regards,

Nigel
--
Nigel Cunningham
Pastoral Worker

Everyone lives by faith. Some people just don't believe it.
Want proof? Try to prove that the theory of evolution is true.