Re: lowmem_reserve (replaces protection)

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 22:26:54 EST

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 01:01:54PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
> Currently it does not overschedule, because one zone is always
> going to be low by the time kswapd wakes up. This causes all zones
> below to be scanned as well.

that's quite subtle (after all it's needed only for the numa pgdats) and
I agree on the wakeup side, the one thing that is wrong instead is the
kswapd-stop side. On that side you really need to know every single zone
that has to be balanced. So whatever, you can't just use pages_high
there. I'm creating a zone->max_lowmem_reserve to fix that efficiently
(that's recalculated every time with the sysctl and at boot).

However my patch to wakeup_kswapd sure wouldn't hurt there.