Re: Let's make a small change to the process

From: Jan Knutar
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 19:53:31 EST

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 23:44, Paolo Ciarrocchi wrote:

> If the goal of -ac is to only include those fixes, why can't we rename
> it in something more "intuitive" for the final users ?
> Do you see what I mean ?

"Final users" are those like me, who so far are quite satisfied[1] with the
distribution kernel. Advanced users will be aware of the existence of
other than kernel.org versions of the kernel, and will hopefully be able
to pick one suited to their particular fuzzy feelings.

During 2.4 development (IIRC) it was somewhat fairly generic knowledge
amongst those who had progressed marginally beyond booting linux, to
compiling some kernel from sources, what -ac postfix meant. Why that
sort of community knowledge osmosis wouldn't be possible or active today
also, I do not know. Perhaps people are just in general afraid of change.

[1] As in, the Fedora Core 2 kernel did not immediately give me such awful
performance that it made me get a kernel.org kernel to get back the magnitude
or so performance loss of the typical Redhat9 kernel. Benchmarks purely
subjective of course, sorry. :-/