Re: Some discussion points open source friendly graphics [was: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?]

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 10:52:06 EST

linux-os wrote:
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Timothy Miller wrote:

For cost reasons, we likely wouldn't socket the chip, so you'd probably
have to send it in for an RMA. We'd reprogram it, and send it back. Or
if you have a friend with the right tools, they can do it.

Normally you use a boundary-scan (JTAG) serial header so you can program,
reprogram, debug the chip. FPGA development tools expect (require)
this.

Check out http:/www.macraigor.com/full_gnu.htm for their GNU tools
and devices, designed for Linux (and M$).

Sounds cool. The easier we can make it, the better.