Re: 2.6.9-mm1: LVM stopped working

From: Alasdair G Kergon
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 09:03:58 EST

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 08:36:51AM -0400, jfannin1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> LVM doesn't work with 2.6.9-mm1 here either, complaining that it
> can't find all the pv's. I'm not using any sort of encryption. Here,
> pvdisplay reports:

> I can open the device nodes for the 'missing' pv's in a hexeditor and see the
> uuid magic; if I reboot into 2.6.9-rc4-mm1 they are found without a
> problem, and everything works.

Firstly enable lvm debugging. lvm.conf: log { file="/tmp/lvm2.log" level=7 }
Compare the lvm log files for the kernels to see where it's going wrong.
Then take complete straces (incl. read/write data) of the lvm process
with each kernel and again compare them. [Or put files on web and send URLs.]

[To check for repeat of old problems with related symptoms:]
Were both kernels compiled with the same compiler version? Which version?
Does it make any difference if you rebuild lvm with --disable-o_direct?

Alasdair
--
agk@xxxxxxxxxx