Re: How is user space notified of CPU speed changes?

From: Lee Revell
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 22:24:29 EST

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 15:02 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> Are you trying to use tsc for delays or measure CPU speed. The original
> question you asked was about CPU speed and the two are very different.

No we are only using it as a cheap way to do microsecond level timing.
Are you saying we should just use gettimeofday() instead?
jack_get_microseconds() is called at least twice per period which can be
several thousand times per second. Is the overhead of a system call
really low enough that this should work? rdtsc is definitely cheap
enough.

Lee