Need help and advice... [was: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly GraphicsCards -- Viable?]

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 21:55:52 EST

I'm probably doing this too early, but it's been pointed out in so many words that I won't scale. I've spent two full work days digesting all of the discussions on LKML, kerneltrap, and slashdot. That's been as fun as you can imagine, but when the time comes for me to start working on the design, I can't do that at all anymore.

What I'll need are representatives of the community who work with me to make sure that my design does what everyone needs it to do, and I need representatives who engage in mailing lists and extract for me information that I should see.

I'm sure there are lots of people who would love to have that kind of influence over a company whose hardware they want to buy. I need the subset of those people who have expertise in 3D graphics, most of whom I'm sure are on OpenGL and X.org mailing lists right now. If there's anyone here who can get me connected with those people, I would appreciate it very much.

I feel like I'm being presumptuous. Although everyone at Tech Source is excited by the idea, and there seems to be a ground-swell of interest, the economic feasibility of this is still in the air. I don't want to waste anyone's time. However, a lot of excellent ideas have been put forth, and I'd like discussion to continue, but in a way that I can handle.

I humbly request advice on how I might go about handling all of this in the best way.

I also think the discussion should transition off LKML and onto its own forum.

Also, I want to thank everyone for talking to me about this. Members of this list and people posting to kerneltrap and slashdot have been very informative and helpful. I also want to mention Jeremy Andrews of kerneltrap.org who first turned my posting into news. I've wanted to do a project like this for a long time, but the past few days of online discussion have really helped push it towards becoming reality.