Re: BK kernel workflow

From: Miles Bader
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 21:24:21 EST

Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> arch exists and it's exactly as distributed as BK.
>
> It doesn't scale or merge as well as BK though.

Examples?

Scalability I'm not sure about; BK's "you must inform BK before you
change a file" model gives it a potential for being very quick at
"tree-compare" operations -- but makes it more annoying for the user.

Merging also seems a bit hard to judge. From what I understand of BK,
it has a much more limited merging model than arch does; to do a
reasonable comparison, you'd have to see how well arch did if you
limited yourself to that restricted model, and then give arch some more
points for not forcing you to do so.

BK no doubt wins on the rough-edges-sanded-down front though; there are
a _few_ advantages to commercial software...

-Miles
--
97% of everything is grunge