Re: BK kernel workflow

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 17:09:48 EST

Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> > Andrew also does things like
> >
> > bk-netdev.patch
> > e1000-module_param-fix.patch
> > ne2k-pci-pci-build-fix.patch
> > r8169-module_param-fix.patch
> >
> > which my mind translates as "there's something stupid, incomplete or
> > outdated in the bk-netdev tree", or "that tree's maintainer should apply
> > these patches. Now." (Ideally, of course, my import script should do the
> > same thing.)
>
> Wrong on all counts.

"wrong" became "right". Those patches need to be applied now. I'll resend them.

But Matthias has described the algorithm correctly: I try to keep "fixups"
as close as possible to the patches which they fix.

I also try to keep patches in when-to-go-to-linus order, but that's much
harder to achieve, for various reasons.