Re: Temporary NFS problem when rpciod is SIGKILLed

From: Denis Vlasenko
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 12:48:58 EST

On Monday 25 October 2004 18:46, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> >It is not killable, neither 2.4 nor 2.6 one. It is by design I think,
> >because I *must not* kill it, or else NFS rootfs will fall off
> >and box will hang.
>
> If it's not killable (per kill(2)), why can killall5 (which will probably use
> kill(2)!) do it?

I believe by design it is a kernel thread, unkillable even by -KILL
signal (precisely because of NFS root setups). You are right,
it does not matter how do you send -KILL from shell: via kill,
killall, killall5, etc... It simply should be ignored by rpciod.

And it is ignored in 2.4. In 2.6, rpciod becomes non-functional
(NFS reads return -EIO) for a second or two, then it returns
back to normal.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

(BTW, I planned to temporarily work around this by inserting
"sleep 3" right after killall5, but, hehe, reading /bin/sleep
via NFS, of course, did not work also :)
--
vda