Re: Linux 2.6.9 latencies: scheduler bug?

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 07:48:17 EST

Sami Farin wrote:
On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 12:26:18AM +0300, Sami Farin wrote:

while that's running, "rtc_latencytest 1024" has max latencies of 253ms.
$BLOCKLIST has around two thousand lines.
http://safari.iki.fi/ip_tables_original_maxlat_253ms.png
from pressing sysrq+p while it was running, I guesstimated one evil spot
and added cond_resched() in there :)
http://safari.iki.fi/ip_tables_cond_resched.png
at 5s I started the script.

forget this stupid ip_tables.c patch, latencies have nothing to do with
netfilter code, but bad interaction between xmms, rtc_latencytest
and iptables. I now get at max 3.1s (yup, 3100000us) latencies.
http://safari.iki.fi/2.6.9-xmms-fun-1.png
if you want to reproduce this:
1) run "rtc_latencytest 1024" (can't reproduce with "rtc_latencytest 512")
2) press play in xmms
3) start iptables-script

xmms has to be prepared first.
a) put it in repeat mode
b) start playing >= 2 files (like that short testcase.mp3 from lame)
c) remove the files while xmms is playing
d) wait till xmms has played all of the selected files
e) press stop [now then you press play in 2), xmms does silly infinite
loop without delays while trying to open the songs]

please give me patches to try, 3.1s is really evil 8-)

Don't think I've tried rtc_latency test. A quick search didn't turn
up its source code...

So... stupid question, is rtc_latencytest running with a realtime
scheduling policy?