Re: BK kernel workflow

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Oct 24 2004 - 18:09:48 EST

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Roman Zippel wrote:

> OTOH people often just send patches directly to you without bothering to
> contact the maintainer.

And sometimes that ends up being becaue the maintainer is unresposive.

It happens. I'd much rather make that be the _normal_ flow of events than
have people think that it's something horrible.

> There is no system that sends out notifications,
> if a patch touches file x/y, so that one has a chance to comment on them.

Well, these days there actually _is_. No, it's not per-file, but a
procmail filter on the patch bots will actually do a lot better than some
random "notify me on these files", because it can be personalized any
which way you want..

> One should also add that bk is not the answer to everything, e.g. bk
> doesn't really help with maintaining separate patches.

Yes. I think the -mm tree and Andrew's (and other peoples) patch-
maintenance ends up being another part of the workflow, "outside" the BK
trees, exactly because of that.

Linus