2.6.9-rc4 stability issues

From: mike lewis
Date: Sun Oct 24 2004 - 03:33:34 EST

Hi All,

I wouldn't consider my self a complete newb, but you may, so feel free
to direct me to the newb list if this is where it should be.

I've recently come across (saved and purchased) a dvb card which is
only supported by cvs linux-dvb of a few days ago, which in turn
willonly compile on 2.6.9-rc4. So I upgraded my kernel to 2.6.9-rc4 a
week ago, and now I have stability issues and I'm not sure where to
turn. I looked through the changelog from 2.6.8 to 2.6.9 and say a
lot a ACPI changes, so I turned acpi off in my kernel to see if this
was the source.. It is not..

The device is remote, so I can only ssh / telnet in to debug. I'm
wondering what steps I can take to establish why this particular
flavour of kernel is not happy on my system. One issue I have, is
how to establish the cause of the system freezes? I'm assuming a
segfault of some kind or another would be logged somewhere, but they
do not appear in /var/log/messages..

Is there any way to log the segfault cause to post/investigate?

Mick