Re: The naming wars continue...

From: Alexandre Oliva
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 17:18:36 EST

On Oct 22, 2004, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> However, for some reason four numbers just looks visually too obnoxious to
> me, so as I don't care that much, I'll just use "-rc", and we can all
> agree that it stands for "Ridiculous Count" rather than "Release
> Candidate".

Naah... That's too boring.

I think we should have several different annotations, to denote how
stable the tarball is supposed to be, and how close we are to a final
release. Say:

Raw Code, or Revamp & Catch-up: the sort of thing you'd get right
after the huge number of changesets we saw go in right after 2.6.9.
Depending on whether it contains mostly incremental changes or major
rework of internals, you'd go with the former or the latter.

Really Churning: more of the same, but not with such a big back-log
from waiting for the previous release.

Rapidly Changing: still accepting a large number of patches, fixing
bugs, adding features, whatever, but not as much of a dump of
never-tested-together patches as Raw Code tarballs.

Run with Care: sort of the same as above, but used to explicitly mark
tarballs in which patches that add significant risk of introducing
memory, disk or government corruption.

Ready or Close: as we approach a stable release, we stop merging new
features, and focus on installing only serious bug fixes.

Release Cuality: if it works, it becomes the final release. No known
bugs, except for typos ;-)

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/