Re: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

From: Rene Herman
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 12:09:54 EST

Kevin Puetz wrote:

Rene Herman wrote:

I'd actually prefer AMD, but the AMD market isn't offfering a solution
comparable to Intel's integrated video. That means AMD and VIA and the
like are loosing (some, mine at least :-) money since they don't have a
graphics solution comparable to Intel, in terms of openness and
basicness. I believe really only nForce and (to a degree; I hardly see
it) ATI IGP are available in the AMD motherboard market. If you could
produce something as good or better as Intel's, you might want to go
talk to VIA, or AMD directly, and have them license it from you and
massproduce it into their chipsets.

Well, there are the via k8m800 chipsets.

I see, must say I hadn't seen it before. Have basically stopped paying attention to VIA some time ago but read lately (mostly on this list, I believe) that they were actually getting better at opening up some things. When I just now checked, I see there's still not a datasheet in sight though. As far as I can see best I can hope for is that VIA would consider me "an appropriate open source developer" which, considering that I will not be developing for many things I still like to read the datasheets for, seems unlikely. But more to the point, even if it were likely, the competition here is developer.intel.com, not $RANDOMCORP's discretion.

From this, VIA seems a bit better than nVidia (if only because it would be hard to be worse) and comparable to ATI's developer program. Since I see that all the rest of their chipsets is equally undocumented, at least publicly, for me personally this means I will not be buying their products.

That's (I believe?) a unichrome2 IGP, which should have opensource
DRI support via unichrome.sf.net (caveat - I have a unichrome1 in an
epia M1000, not the athlon64 variant). It's no hot-rod performer, but
it's good enough for tuxracer and neverball. I have no idea how it
really compares performance-wise to the intel stuff, but it does at
least have open drivers and reasonable GL acceleration.

I see from unichrome.sf.net that they are piecing together register info from drivers they got VIA to release...

Okay, so talking to VIA was a bad idea. AMD is good with documentation (looking at printed copies of the AMD 751/756 datasheets as we speak) but haven't been too interested in chipsets upto now. They generally do one or a few and lay off when VIA gets upto speed. Not having anything basic and open available _is_ driving some customers to Intel though, so maybe they're still interested in it for a basic chipset, with VIA for the gadget-add market.

Rene.