Re: Linux 2.6.9-ac3

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 09:46:51 EST

Luca Risolia wrote:
o Restore PWC driver (Luc Saillard)

This driver does decompression in kernel space, which is not
allowed. That part has to be removed from the driver before
asking for the inclusion in the mainline kernel.

What do you mean by "not allowed?" Clearly it would nice if it were in user space, but it would have to be in EVERY user application to be useful. We have compression in kernel for ppp, and there's only one significant use for that, requiring that every application support every vendor hardware makes it a non-scalable NxM problem.

The ideal solution would be to convert vendor format to neutral format ala netpbm, and then let the applications handle that format (or a small set of formats). It sounds as if this driver is essentially doing that.

This is not hardware which virtually every system includes, so size is not a big issue here. I think that CPU hogging is a valid concern, perhaps that would be a good thing to address rather than taking the "wait a few years for support" approach.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc