Re: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 22:52:26 EST

Jeff> 4) I am a bit dubious that FPGA will perform at a useful
Jeff> clock speed.

Jeff> 7) two-chip solution

Jeff> One thing I have pondered, with regards to #6: what about
Jeff> implementing a multi-core solution? One core to handle the
Jeff> graphics operations and control the video, and one core a
Jeff> much more generic microcontroller that runs ucLinux, and
Jeff> handles the GL "slow path" stuff. The advantage of this
Jeff> approach is

It's might be a bit expensive, but one could use a Xilinx Virtex 4
FPGA. For example a XC4VFX60 has 16 SERDES (which could be used to
implement a 16X PCI Express link) and two embedded PowerPC 405 cores
(which can be used to run Linux -- there is already existing support
in the kernel for this). The Virtex 4 can be clocked quite high (300
MHz wouldn't be out of the question), and interfaces like a wide DDR2
controller would be possible as well.

In fact the Virtex 4 has so many cool features it might be hard to
convert the code to an ASIC later....

- R.