Re: 2.6.9-ck1: swap mayhem under UT2004

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 21:38:47 EST

Alastair Stevens wrote:
Con and others: I've been running 2.6.9-ck1 for a couple of days, and seem to have hit on a major swapping issue....

My machine is a UP Athlon 2500+ with 512MB, and everything hums along nicely under normal desktop usage. But when launching UT2004, it just crawls and jerks like hell. At one point, it appeared to have frozen completely, but I managed to switch to a text console to see what was happening, and basically I'd hit a swap frenzy: kswapd was sucking 50% of the CPU, fighting with the UT2004 process.

My RAM appeared to be almost "full", with no cache/buffers, but only a few hundred K of swap was actually being used, and this wasn't changing. The kswapd frenzy carried on for at least a couple of minutes; then suddenly everything went smooth again and the game played perfectly from then on.

This is definitely new behaviour; I've run every recent 2.6 kernel, with and without the staircase scheduler patch (but not the full -ck), and never had any problems before. Yes, I'm running the dratted Nvidia driver, but that's not the issue as it's been loaded with every other kernel. Switching back to 2.6.9-rc3 makes everything behave perfectly again....

Any ideas? Any more info required?

I've seen reports of this happening since 2.6.9 _even on mainline_. Something seems very sick with kswapd where it consumes massive amounts of cpu. Can you reproduce without any -ck patches? Others have already done so, but it seems to happen earlier with -ck.

Con