Re: GPRS on Linux fails due to 255.255.255.255 remote address.

From: James Courtier-Dutton
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 21:12:16 EST

Arvind Kalyan wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to use my Airtel GPRS connection under Linux.

This is a bug in pppd or the linux kernel.
Can the linux kernel handle un-numbered Point-to-Point links?

This is a point-to-point link, so we should ignore the remote IP address, and add local routes (e.g. default route) pointing to interface names, and not IP addresses.

I agree that it would have looked prettier if the remote end used something other than 255.255.255.255, but pppd should not care about it, so who cares what number it is.

I do not know if this is a bug in the linux kernel, or just pppd.
Can the linux kernel handle un-numbered Point-to-Point links?

James