Re: My thoughts on the "new development model"

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 20:49:47 EST

On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 12:57:03AM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 11:52:50PM +0200, Espen Fjellv?r Olsen wrote:
> > A 2.7 should be created where all new experimental stuff is merged
> > into it, and where people could begin to think new again.
>
> This could be true if the release cycle was shorter. But once 2.7 comes
> out, many developpers will only focus on their development and not on
> stabilizing 2.6 as much as today.

2.6.9 -> 2.6.10-rc1:
- 4 days
- > 15 MB patches

It's a bit optimistic to call this amount of change "stabilizing".

2.6 is corrently more a development kernel than a stable kernel.

The last bug I observed personally was the problem with suspending when
using CONFIG_REGPARM=y together with Roland's waitid patch which was
added in 2.6.9-rc2. If I'd used 2.6.9 with the same .config as 2.6.8.1,
this was simple one more bug...

IMHO Andrew+Linus should open a short-living 2.7 tree soon and Andrew
(or someone else) should maintain a 2.6 tree with less changes (like
Marcelo did and does with 2.4).

> Willy

cu
Adrian