Re: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

From: Giuseppe Bilotta
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 14:54:25 EST

Helge Hafting wrote:
> * Consider a version to include on motherboards. Low-end 3D shouldn't
> be a problem there, because those who really care about 3D always
> buys the latest 3D board anyway and never use the onboard thing.
> Not even if it is good 3D, because the very best is always newer.
> Make sure it works both as primary and secondary device in this case
> too. It'll be nice for server boards - those rarely need high-
> end 3D. Those concerned about security might like the fact that
> hw bugs may be fixed by reprogramming the FPGA. It may also be an
> option for makers of cheap boards - they might want to boast about
> having on-board graphichs for a all-in-one motherboard, but they
> might not want to include a expensive high-end chip.
> Also, a deal with some board manufacturer might get you some volume
> for the chips. The windows driver will probably be necessary for
> this.

Very good post, Helge. Excellent, if I might say.

Another important market to look into is laptops, IMO.
Especially when memory consumption comes in, if the card can do
"enough" 3D you could probably beat ATI and nVidia on the
market.

(Of course, the definition of "enough" is quite subjective ...
my 3D game is BZFlag, and for very complex maps at the max
quality settings even my nVidia GeForce2 Go has its problems at
1600x1200x32 ...)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

Can't you see