RE: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Re: Generic VESA framebuffer driver and Video card BOOT?

From: Pallipadi, Venkatesh
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 13:20:25 EST

Yes. I looked at that patch which exposes video ROM through sysfs.
But, we will also need either a kernel or user level x86 emulator,
to use this ROM for things like vgapost. Right?
I was using the video ROM exposed through sysfs for my userlevel
emulation, until I found out the vgapost calls also uses some other
things outside video ROM as it makes other INT calls internally.
That's when I moved out to use the X approach of mapping /dev/mem.

I agree with you on all the things about multiple VGA card and
their initializations. But, I am more concerned about the more
common single video card systems, which doesn't get video back after
S3 suspend and resume, just because the kernel doesn't do vgapost
at proper time. With thousands of such systems being used already,
I feel we need to have some working solution for that sooner.

Thanks,
Venki