Re: my opinion about VGA devices

From: Tomas carnecky
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 07:00:30 EST

Blizbor wrote:

Tomas Carnecky wrote:

Richard B. Johnson wrote:

Why do you let user-mode programs access the hardware directly?
You don't do this with network devices (there you have syscalls), you don't do this with sound devices (alsa).

Any root process can mmap() any of the memory-mapped hardware
including network devices. This isn't normally done because
handling interrupts from such hardware isn't very efficient
in user-mode, and redistributing data meant for another
process would be a nightmare. However, it can be done.

IMO it makes a proper power managment implementation impossible.

Wrong. The 'normal' user can't do such I/O, root can. See iopl(), which
sets the I/O privilege level. This has nothing to do with power-
management.

Power managment should be done in the kernel, that's why there is sysfs and the kobjects. But it can't be done properly if some process from user-mode (even root processes) do access the hardware directly.
Power managment isn't the only reason why it shouldn't be done, but also everything related to the device managment etc. There should always be a driver between a process and the hardware as a protection.

Last time I've tried a LiveCD distro I've seen a nice boot console with background picture, high resolution (1024x768) and nice small font. That means that the framebuffer driver had to be initialized at that time. I don't have framebuffer drivers compiled into my kernel so I don't know at which point these are initialized, but it must be at a quite early point in the boot process.

Even Fedora, which boots in a 'graphical' mode, really boots standard
text-mode until 'init' gets control. They just hide the console output
by setting the grub command-line parameter, "quiet".

The kernel messages are still available using `dmesg`. If you want
to eliminate any possibility of losing kernel messages because
the kernel failed to get up all the way, just use /dev/ttyS0 as
your console during boot.

Well... that's why I don't understand why we should keep the VGA code in the kernel. It's very unlikely that the kernel crashes before a graphics driver can be initialized (if you do this as soon as possible) unless you have a bad CPU etc.

I think you're wrong.
This is not a good idea. In such important (should I say 'critical' ?) software like kernel
there is no room to developers 'probability sense'. If exists hypotethical situation that
something will go wrong it should be taken into account and a software way to handle it
must exist.

I don't think there is any way you can handle a crash at that stage, either the kernel starts successfully or not.

1. What if kernel crashes during graphics driver initialisation ?

Developers can have a serial console attached to the computer and get the info from there and any other user don't really care, I don't think that the office workers in the Munich government would care about it and send a bug report to the LKML.

2. What if you move HD to another box with totally diferrent graphics device ?

You could have two drivers compiled in, one very small and simple (VGA) for the case that you'll change the computer and a boot parameter to change them. But usually people compile a new kernel before putting the HD into a new box so I don't see this as a a stong argument.

3. What if the kernel DO crash before graph.dev. initialisation ? How many hours you will spend diagnosing ?

Not even a minute, I'd switch to a driver version that worked before. And maybe report that the new version doesn't work.

4. What if before or during graphisc driver initialisation a kind of delayed error in other device will occur ?

Not if you initialize the graph.dev. before any other device, as soon as possible, just after the bus(PCI etc.) initialization.

tom