Re: setterm -msg off broken in 2.6.9

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 06:09:53 EST

Seth Arnold <sarnold@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello, I'm using 2.6.9 on my ibook g3 700mhz, debian unstable.
>
> I use setterm -msg off to turn off kernel log buffer to console from
> time to time. It now reports an error:
> $ setterm -msg off
> klogctl error: Unknown error 4294967295
>
> kernel log messages are still printed to the console.

I assume that's because:

2643 syslog(0x6, 0, 0) = -1 EPERM (Operation not permitted)

but cap_syslog() has disallowed command 6 for a long time.

It seems reasonable to be able to kill console messages if the user is
using the console, but from my reading current 2.4 kernels will fail this
if you're not root as well.

With what kernel were you able to run `setterm -msg' without being root?