Re: IO performance problems with 2.6.9

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 02:07:36 EST

Peter Zaitsev wrote:

4) Unrelated but still unfortunate. 2.6.9 kernel seems to behave weird
if swap is disabled. I was running with 8G of memory allocating 6G for
MySQL buffers which left about 1.5G for kernel, 1G of which was used
for file cache. During IO intensive run, using buffered IO I got
"kswapd" running like a crazy taking 90% of CPU time on one of CPUs. What for is it running if there is no swap files enabled ?

Can you boot with profile=2, and get a profile of about 30 seconds
while kswapd is going crazy please?

Also capture /proc/vmstat before and after that interaval.

Can you also capture a the output of vmstat 1 while this is happening

Thanks