kbuild (was Re: Versioning of tree)

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 21:57:14 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
We already have the concept of "localversion*" files that get appended to the build.[...]

Just to tangent a bit... I've been meaning to throw out a public kudos to Sam, Kai, Roman and the other kbuild/kconfig hackers. The 2.6 kbuild and kconfig system is a _huge_ improvement over 2.4.x.

These days I use
echo "-sataN" > localversion
heavily, and it's been quite helpful. The separation of src/obj directories, the default verbosity level, 'make allyesconfig', and the elimination of recursive Makefile invocations are just some of the things that stick out as positive improvements that impact me on a daily basis.

Thanks guys!

Jeff