Re: High pitched noise from laptop: processor.c in linux 2.6

From: Lee Revell
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 15:42:30 EST

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 13:13, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> > I bet you could actually identify the singing capacitor using a
> > telephone toner wand. IMHO this is a bad enough problem to RMA it.
>
> Not really, it's barely noticeable in a quiet room.

If you had bought that laptop for audio use (big market these days, just
look at all the FireWire/USB/PCMCIA sound hardware out there), then this
would be a fatal problem.

Of course, for such a user, a BIOS where the hardware constantly block
interrupts via SMM would also be a fatal problem because it ruins audio
latency. According to Alan Cox this is most laptops these days!

I am beginning to suspect the only known good laptop for pro audio use
is a Powerbook :-/. x86 laptops are just too cheaply made.

Lee