Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Generic VESA framebuffer driver and Video card BOOT?

From: Kendall Bennett
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 14:58:34 EST

Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > Yes, but there is only a very small set of PC hardware features you need
> > to implement, and most BIOS'es only look at those things for timing
> > purposes. Unfortunately there is no standard for how BIOS'es do internal
> > timing and delay loops, so we emulate them all (8253 timers, speaker
> > ports and CMOS time/date support ;-).
>
> Hmm, that does not seem that bad. Did you need to emulate interrupt
> controller, too? That one seemed most scary to me.

No. Only software interrupts. The BIOS never deals with hardware
interrupts since there is no standard, reliable way to hook them from
real mode so it never uses them ;-)

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~