Re: Module compilation

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 13:52:35 EST

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 10:36:00AM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote>
...but it's not CFLAGS that needs to be modified, it's
a named variable that doesn't exist yet, perhaps "USERDEF",
or "DEFINES".

Reading the above I cannot what amkes you say that EXTRA_CFLAGS
or CFLAGS_module.o cannot be used?
Is it the name you do not like or is it some fnctionality
you are missing?

The name is wrong! There are zillions of ways to obtain the
functionality. Currently we need to piggy-back definitions
onto compiler flags.

Compiler flags are things like "-Wall" and "-O2", that tell
the compiler what to do. We need a name to use for definitions,
"-Dxxx", that #define constants (dynamically at compile-time)
in the code. Right now, -DMODULE and -D__KERNEL__ are piggybacked
onto CFLAGS. There really should be a variable called something
else like DEFINES and it should be exported.

I see that the normal "defines" is a constant
called "CHECKFLAGS", so this isn't appropriate for user
modification.
CHECKFLAGS is only used when you use "make C=1" - to pass options
to sparse.

Sam

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 GrumpyMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.