Re: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 13:16:03 EST

David Lang wrote:
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Timothy Miller wrote:

David Lang wrote:

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Timothy Miller wrote:

since nobody has done this yet (for video cards anyeay) there is no proof one way or the other.

Well, if Tech Source management decides that this project isn't worth the effort, you'll have a small piece of circumstantial evidence that leans toward "it's not viable". I personally want to find a way to make it work.

To the open source community, this is a golden opportunity to directly influence the design of a piece of hardware which fits their ideals. For me personally, this is a golden opportunity to work on a project from which I'll derive an immense amount of enjoyment. For both accounts, I'm desperate to find a way to make it work. :)

Tim, in this case you are not just testing the openess idea, you are also testing the low-volume, high-cost, but flexible idea. and that idea has never had a large market

you are in something of a catch-22 here. due to the risk you can only do things with a relativly small initial investment, but with a larger initial investment you could make much cheaper (and therefor much more popular) cards. where's a billionare looking to Do Good Things (TM) when you need one ;-)

Yeah! I wonder if there are any rich investors reading this right now who would like to invest in this project. :)

I'm sure the CEO would be elated to have that happen! :)

Based on past experience, I think a few million dollars would do it. :)