Re: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 07:32:32 EST

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 06:02:51PM -0400, Timothy Miller wrote:

> (1) Would the sales volumes of this product be enough to make it worth
> producing (ie. profitable)?

no

> (2) How much would you be willing to pay for it?

with DVI output:
29 Euro

without DVI output:
< 10 Euro (current Ebay prices including shipping for a Matrox G200
which is a really good 2D card)

> (3) How do you feel about the choice of neglecting 3D performance as a
> priority? How important is 3D performance? In what cases is it not?
> (4) How much extra would you be willing to pay for excellent 3D performance?

3D is a nice feature, but I wouldn't pay extra money for it

> (5) What's most important to you, performance, price, or stability?

1. stability
2. no fan
3. price

> Feel free to insert your own questions and answers here. Remember, I'm
> an engineer. My understanding of business is dilettantish at best.

I do not care that much about 3D performance.

My graphics card has a ATI Radeon 7000 and offers as output
VGA, DVI and VideoCinch. The card has no fan.

This card is more than enough for all my uses (I use DVI, but not
VideoCinch; even Tuxracer runs fine although I wouldn't need the 3D
suppport).

This card is well-supported with open source drivers (and I'm using
only open source drivers).

I didn't experience any problems with it.

This card which is more than enough for all of my uses is sold in it's
32 MB version for 29 Euro [1] in many shops.

cu
Adrian

[1] that's not a special offer, this price is stable for at about half a
year now

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed