Re: gradual timeofday overhaul

From: Lee Revell
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 06:54:53 EST

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 03:47, Len Brown wrote:
> The current design with HZ=1000 gives us 1ms = 1000usec between clock
> ticks. But some platforms take nearly that long just to enter/exit low
> power states; which means that on Linux the hardware pays a long idle
> state exit latency (performance hit) but gets little or no power savings
> from the time it resides in that idle state.

My testing shows that the timer interrupt runs for about 21 usec.
That's 2.1% of its time just running the timer ISR! No wonder this
causes PM issues, 2.1% cpu load is not exactly an idle machine. This is
a 600Mhz C3, so on a slower embedded system this might be 5%.

So, any solution that would allow high res timers with Hz = 100 would be
welcome.

Lee