Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U8

From: Rui Nuno Capela
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 05:36:51 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> One of the signs that there's real trouble in here can be seen on
>> the following complete dmesg output (which was even a miracle to be
>> captured at all). This shows the complete bootstrap and init sequences
>> and at the end one fatal crash while plugging an USB flash memory
>> stick (usb-storage). This has been already reported earlier yesterday,
>> but I just want to make it here, as the evidence-at-hand.
>>
>> After this precise occurence, the system becomes very flaky,
>> unreliable and often ends up freezing to death.
>
> for the sake of testing could you disable CONFIG_USB and see whether the
> instability is truly directly related to the USB crash, as you suspect?
> Such a kernel crash can often destabilize other parts of the kernel.

Just tested with CONFIG_USB off, and can't test the usb-storage crash, of
course. However, jackd is still freezing to death. No console, nor syslog
output can be found. The system just dies sometime after some jack client
is launched. Will try further.

I'm on the way to test Thomas Gleixner's patch...

BBL
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@xxxxxxxxx