RE: gradual timeofday overhaul

From: Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 03:38:51 EST

> From: Richard B. Johnson
>
> You need that hardware interrupt for more than time-keeping.
> Without a hardware-interrupt, to force a new time-slice,
>
> for(;;)
> ;
>
> ... would allow a user to grab the CPU forever ...

But you can also schedule, before switching to the new task,
a local interrupt on the running processor to mark the end
of the timeslice. When you enter the scheduler, you just need
to remove that; devil is in the details, but it should be possible
to do in a way that doesn't take too much overhead.

Iñaky Pérez-González -- Not speaking for Intel -- all opinions are my own (and my fault)