Re: UDP recvmsg blocks after select(), 2.6 bug?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 00:27:25 EST

Chris Friesen wrote:
H. Peter Anvin wrote:

The whole point is that it doesn't break the *documented* interface.

In my view (and apparently others, as has been verified in current apps using blocking sockets), current behaviour *does* break the documented interface.

The man page for select says:

"Those listed in readfds will be watched to see if characters become available for reading (more precisely, to see if a read will not block..."

If I'm the only one touching the socket, select returns with it readable, and I block when calling recvmsg, then by definition that behaviour does not match the documented interface.

I'm talking about returning -1, EIO.

-hpa