Re: belkin usb serial converter (mct_u232), break not working

From: Paul Fulghum
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 00:02:17 EST

Thomas Stewart wrote:

I've tyred various combinations of ioctl(fd, TCSBRKP, x) and tcsendbreak(fd, x), where x is 2, 5, 10, 20 and 200.

One thing I did notice is that no mater what the value I use, it always finishes very quickly, there does not appear to be any duration.

take porttest.c:
#include <sys/fcntl.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>
main(int argc, char ** argv) {
int fd = open(argv[1], O_RDWR|O_NOCTTY);
ioctl(fd, TCSBRKP, 20);
close(fd);
}

$ time ./porttest /dev/ttyS0
real 0m2.001s
user 0m0.001s
sys 0m0.000s

A standard serial port with a 2 second break (20*100ms), takes as expected just over 2 seconds.

$ time ./porttest /dev/ttyUSB1
real 0m0.004s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.001s

However with the USB converter instead, it takes 5 ms to complete. Much shorter than expected.

Is it a driver issue?

Could be.
That test gives me more information.
I will look closer at the code and see if anything pops out.

Thanks,
Paul

--
Paul Fulghum