Re: Linux v2.6.9 and GPL Buyout

From: Ryan Anderson
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 23:02:26 EST

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 02:09:28PM -0600, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> XFS, JFS and NUMA are easy ones.

As I understand it, JFS was originally written for AIX. The OS/2 team
at IBM rewrote it from scratch for OS/2. Their version was cleaner, so
*that* got ported to AIX. (Maybe 5L, not really sure on versions here.)
The JFS for OS/2 is the predecessor to the Linux version.

Where's the Unix IP infection come from?

> RCU and NUMA are not.

RCU - originally a paper, implemented in Dynix and in other operating
systems from the paper (and patent), implemented in Linux as well.

Oh, and disclaimers:

IANAL, all knowledge gleaned from extensive reading, not personal
experience. Feel free to flame me if I screwed something up. (And I
apologize if I did so.)

--

Ryan Anderson
sometimes Pug Majere