Re: BK kernel workflow

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 17:03:46 EST

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 11:33:40PM +0200, Paolo Ciarrocchi wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:06:49 -0400, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Although tangential to the problem, I thought LKML and BitMover (and
> > maybe Andrew or Linus as well) might be interested in a general
> > description of my workflow.
> >
> > For net drivers in the Linux kernel, there exists two patch queues,
> > net-drivers-2.6 and netdev-2.6 (and corresponding 2.4 versions).
> > net-drivers-2.6 could be described as the "upstream immediately" or "for
> > Linus" queue, and netdev-2.6 could be described as the "testing" queue.
>
> So you have two bk trees,
> - patches good for mainstream
> - patches good for -mm tree

Close:
- patches ready for mainstream
- patches eventually ready for mainstream

and changes flow "up" from netdev-2.6 to net-drivers-2.6.

> It would be cool if all the maintainers could adopt your working method,
> Andrew is already automatically pulling from a bunch of trees, why not
> having Linusdoing the same too?

That's what Linus does already, when I email him :)

But Linus is essentially "senior editor", so we don't want to automate
the system, otherwise there is no editorial control. He is our
emporer penguin, after all.

Jeff