Re: Generic VESA framebuffer driver and Video card BOOT?

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 16:46:34 EST

Hi!

> I am writing this email to guage the interest in having code contributed
> to the main stream Linux kernel that would support the user of a generic,
> full featured VESA framebuffer driver that works on any CPU architecture
> along with a generic Video card BOOT or POST mechanism.

BTW, does this look like right way to POST VGA BIOS from real mode? It
is what we currently use... and it works on some machines...

movw $0xb800, %ax
movw %ax,%fs
movw $0x0e00 + 'L', %fs:(0x10)

cli
cld

# setup data segment
movw %cs, %ax
movw %ax, %ds # Make ds:0 point to wakeup_start
movw %ax, %ss
mov $(wakeup_stack - wakeup_code), %sp # Private stack is needed for ASUS board
movw $0x0e00 + 'S', %fs:(0x12)

pushl $0 # Kill any dangerous flags
popfl

movl real_magic - wakeup_code, %eax
cmpl $0x12345678, %eax
jne bogus_real_magic

testl $1, video_flags - wakeup_code
jz 1f
lcall $0xc000,$3
movw %cs, %ax
movw %ax, %ds # Bios might have played with that
movw %ax, %ss
1:

Pavel