Re: Linux v2.6.9 and GPL Buyout

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 15:08:16 EST

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Kurt Wall wrote:

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004, Jeff V. Merkey took 66 lines to troll:

Although we do not work with them and are in fact on the the other side
of Unixware from a
competing viewpoint, SCO has contacted us and identifed with precise
detail and factual
documentation the code and intellectual property in Linux they claim was
taken from Unix.
We have reviewed their claims and they appear to create enough
uncertianty to warrant
removal of the infringing portions.

But, naturally, you can't reveal the precise files and lines of code that
SCO claim was stolen. For $DEITY's sake, you're still a Canopy stooge and
hanger on, even though you're smart enough to know better. How much did
NFT or Canopy give you to agree to this preposterous claim?

Welcome to my killfile.

Kurt

Some people just don't know how to tell a joke! I wonder how
many companies have "non-exclusive" licenses to UNIX from AT&T?
I don't recall SCO buying back any of those licenses. In particular,
AT&T gave a non-exclusive license to many universities, including
UC/Berkeley, where most of the student-written code came from
before there was a Linux. Don't let SCO crap bother you. They
don't have a leg to stand on. They think they "own" Unix while,
in fact, it was given away long before they latched onto its last
craze.

FYI, this DR-DOS is pretty interesting. I knew the founder of
Digital Research, Gary Kildall. They probably would do well
to check their facts before they put a history-rewrite on
their web-pages. I think the DR-DOS is a hack of freedos
and I think they might try the same thing with Linux.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 GrumpyMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.