2.6.9: performance issues on Via Epia

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 10:13:13 EST

Hi,

I recently upgraded from 2.6.8.1 to 2.6.9 (the release, not -final) on my Via
Epia 5000 router. Now when I transfer files from the machine's HD vsftpd can
only achieve 3MB/s.

I believe this is some performance problem specifically related to XFS, or
something specific to the local VM, because if I transfer from an NFS mounted
directory on the same machine, vsftpd easily achieves the 10MB/s I'm used to.

Top shows something typical to this during transfers from the machine's local
HD;

Cpu(s): 0.7% us, 9.2% sy, 0.0% ni, 0.3% id, 84.5% wa, 5.3% hi, 0.0% si

Which seems like an awful lot of wait time. Anybody got any suggestions of
where to start reverting patches? The amount of difference between 2.6.8.1
and 2.6.9 is quite daunting.

By the way, copying a file locally on the system from the same partition to
another directory is far more efficient.

[root] 16:02 [~] time cp /var/cache/swapfile here
`/var/cache/swapfile' -> `here'

real 0m37.904s
user 0m0.115s
sys 0m13.033s