Re: 2.6.9 BK build broken

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 00:19:43 EST

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> > I get an ICE here in -BK-latest, which the attached patch fixes (backs
> > out Linus's change).

Heh. Clearly there's a gcc bug.. What compiler version?

I've got gcc-3.2 and gcc-3.3, and neither seems to have any trouble, but
hey, I'm cursed by having fairly up-to-date systems.

That said, I know what's up, but it would be good to know what compilers
have this problem..

> Another data point, I have no problems with 2.6-BK-latest on x86-64,
> with gcc 3.3.3 (FC2)...

Too much C syntax, too little CPP braindamage.

I bet the thing is fixed by changing the

#define __builtin_warning(x, ...) (1)

into

#define __builtin_warning(x, y...) (1)

(ie add the name for the varargs macro argument). Never mind that we don't
use it, and newer gcc's are happy - older gcc's clearly aren't ;)

Linus