VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Havea nice day... (2.6.9-rc3)

From: Christian
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 20:25:15 EST

hi,

during the last days i noticed that my box is using a lot of swap memory. it does the same things as every time, perhaps some application is leaking memory, i don't know / will examine. then i was away a few days and back again i found a partition of mine unmounted. in my syslog i noticed this message:

VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice day...

i *think* this is the message just before unmounting the fs, but the OOM event was hours before, as the (slightly edited) log says:

http://www.nerdbynature.de/bits/sheep/2.6.9-rc3/messages.log
(the VFS warning is at the end)

maybe someone could have a look at it and explain to me what happened here?

this is all on debian/unstable, vanilla 2.6.9-rc3 compiled with 3.4.2, loop-aes modules loaded. the said fs which was (un)mounted is this:

/dev/hda1 on /data/Media type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,loop=/dev/loop5,\
gpgkey=/root/keys/hda1.gpg,encryption=twofish128)

evil@sheep:~$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 250 210 40 0 2 67
-/+ buffers/cache: 139 110